As the date (right) shows the centre was built in 1861 as a school by the London Lead Company; a mining company responsible for the growth of Middleton from a small farming village to a town with over a thousand residents in its heyday.
The School was closed in 1893 when a state school opened in the village. The building was bought by Mr Todd, the local blacksmith, and became the village assembly hall. The site developed dramatically in the 1920s when Sunderland Education Development Association bought the building and converted it into Middleton Camp. Adding the dining room extension in the 1940's.